We’ll be making Spicy Veggie Burgers with Zucchini Fries You can make this in a pan or roasting dish. We will make this in a large frying pan – you will need 2 of them if you want to make the zucchini in a pan vs in the oven.
The ingredients you need are:
1 cups of baby spinach, chopped (8 oz raw)
1/2 cups cooked beans – I suggest pinto beans or lentils, mashed
1/2 cup diced portabella mushrooms 1 medium sweet potato, abt 1/2 cup,
grated 1 egg to bind or 2 tablespoons flax seeds in water
1 tbsp butter or ghee
1-3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs or ground flax seed meal
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder and grated nutmeg
2 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1 tsp dried basil grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
flour or garbanzo bean flour if needed for dredging zucchini and binding burgers.
You will need a good cutting knife or chopping knife cutting boards, maybe scissors. A large frying pan with lid, immersion blender (to mash beans), a large bowl and a spray bottle with olive oil and a large baking sheet. If you want to chop, dice and slice the veggies beforehand, it may help so you can follow along more easily – then we can just assemble as needed!
- Drain and rinse beans, then mash them in a large bowl (large enough to add all the ingredients).
- Dice the mushrooms, onions, greens, etc and add into the bowl with beans. Add 1 egg if needed to bind (or the flax meal in water gelatanous mixture). If too wet, you can add flax meal to thicken.
Alternatively, you can place all the ingredients into a food processor, or use an immersion blender to grind the burger ingredients together.
- Heat a large skillet with some ghee and olive oil on medium heat. Allow the pan to heat up for 2-4 minutes.
- Roll out a large spoonful and make a ball, then flatten it. You can make a plate full of the burgers, or as you make them, put them into the heated pan. Cook each side for a good 4-6 minutes and then flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes. They should be golden brown.
- Before you start the above, you want to make the zucchini fries!
Pre-heat the oven to 375* F.
Cut the zucchini into matchsticks, lay them onto a cookie sheet lined with tin foil or parchment paper.
Spray with olive oil, sprinkle some parmesan cheese and basil on the zucchini. If you want a crispy crunch, put some garbanzo bean flour into a plastic baggie, and toss the zucchini into the bag to coat them with the flour.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, but check them after 20 minutes and flip of you want. Bake until either golden brown if breaded, but don’t let them burn. They should be soft if you poke them with a knife or skewer.
Enjoy! Let us know how yours turns out!
And watch this video to follow along in class (every 2 weeks)