I get questions regularly for gluten free recipes. I usually try to find ones that are also grain free and made with root vegetables. I do this mainly because I cannot eat brown rice. And most gluten or wheat free recipes are made with brown rice. For me, brown rice is inflammatory, so I would prefer to not eat it if I don’t have to! It makes me very, very sleepy!
I also try to make the recipes I find…..so I can make shortcuts (I don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen either!) and make healthy adjustments like using dates or honey instead of sugar, or add flax seeds for omega 3 fatty acids and added fiber.
Here is one I found, that although I have yet to make it in the oven, I have made it in the dehydrator into crackers using 4-5 ingredients and a food processor.
Sweet Potato Pizza Crust or Crackers (raw option)
• 1 ½ cups raw or baked sweet potatoes (~2 medium sweet potatoes)
• 1-2 med sized zucchini, diced (about same amount as potatoes)
• 1 cup almond or cashew flour
• ½ cup flax seed meal
• 2 large eggs (optional)
• 2-4 tsps nutritional yeast
• 1 tsp baking powder (for baked, not dehydrated)
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp curry powder (optional)
• 1 tsp sea salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F if using oven.
2. If baking sweet potatoes, bake for 25 minutes. Let cool, peel and mash (or put into food processor).
3. Combine all ingredients in a food processor; mix well.
4. If baking, cover baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray sheet with non-stick spray) or use teflon sheet for dehydrator.
5. Using a spatula or large knife or hands , spread the dough evenly into a large circle about 1/2 inch thick (or spoon out into crackers, flatten!)
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is firm and edges are lightly browned.
or Dehydrate for 6-8 hours at 105-110, remove from teflon sheet, and return to dehydrator for another 2-4 hours depending on crispness desired.
NOTE: If making crackers in dehydrator, you can use them without the cheese on top and no need to put into oven with cheese. If in oven, and making pizza, continue next steps.
7. Remove crust from oven, add toppings, and bake for another 5-7 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
8. Remove pizza from oven, slice and enjoy!
If making raw, use raw organic sweet potatoes, put all ingredients into food processor. If making a pizza crust, spoon and spread into a larger crust.
modified from http://carrotsncake.com/2013/01/sweet-potato-pizza-crust.html#KDJczxfoDtK4rtjF.99