This is a really easy recipe for basic berry smoothies. I use it frequently and do make them for events for sampling – everyone is always surprised at how good it is! Basic berry smoothies just need some protein, fat and greens to get a full meal option from it.
Adding the greens adds B vitamins for energy, anti-oxidants to counteract free radicals from stress (means you age younger!), fiber to slow absorption of sugars, even the natural ones from fruit and they alkalize which is a benefit for athletes looking for faster recovery.
Adding fat will slow the absorption of the natural sugars which helps balance the blood sugar better.
You won’t be quite so starving 90 minutes later! You can also do this with adding fiber like flax or chia seeds.
You can add some protein on the side or add protein powder in place of the plain yogurt.
Let me know if you do make it. It is so simple and so tasty!
The picture below is the big bottle I used for a sampling event at my local Athleta store. I had 1 of 2 of these bottles left over …so have to drink the remaining smoothie myself! poor me, right? Not at all.
Basic Berry Smoothie
- ½ cup frozen fruit (mixed berries, pineapple, etc)
- ½ cup whole milk vanilla yogurt (or whole milk plain for less sweetness)
- 1 cup apple cider (diluted with water for less sweetness)
- Optional – mint leaves
- Optional – 2 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds
- ½ -1 cup spinach or baby kale
- 2-4 tablespoons of vanilla protein powder (optional in place of yogurt)
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 inch turmeric root
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar
- In a blender, combine all ingredients until smooth.
- Cover and turn blender onto low for 30 seconds, and then high for 1-2 minute until mixed. May need to add liquid if too thick or not blending.
- Pour into a fancy glass or dish, add 1-2 tbsp of real whipped cream, add fresh blueberries and enjoy with a spoon!
You can store this overnight in glass containers. If you use a 10-12 ounce glass bottle, you may be able to store it for up to 3 days, or freeze it. The bottles can then be taken to work for a mid-morning or afternoon snack, or you can use it for your breakfast on the run….which we don’t recommend all the time. But it is all real food and it is quick, easy and delicious!
You may even get your athletes and kids to drink it! They won’t ever know the Basic Berry Smoothie has greens included!